28 November, 2007

Living a Google-addicted life

when i start my computer, the first program that starts up is firefox displaying my gmail account. as soon as i reviewed and labelled my new emails i switch over to google calender. usually this happens directly through the daily calender update that i get into my gmail account. if there are any worthwhile documents in my emails, i stuff them on google documents. the third step, after gmail and calender is then to review all news feeds that are being automatically sucked into my google reader. i sort them thematically, star and label the worthwhile stuff. the best stuff i ususally print and share it with co-readers through my google-operated blogger.
for research purposes i used to check randomly google news but since i have the google reader my usage of this service dwindled. whenever i happen to see nice graphics and pictures of green edens or environmental havoc i save and upload them to my google web album. and more and more, i profit from new "interconnecting" features of my most beloved google services. a recent example would be the easy posting of a complete picasa photo album directly into my google blog.
i am now eagerly awaiting google's newest rumored service, the so-called "my stuff": an all encompassing online data repository. since i upload all of my photographic life, i alreday needed to expand my data storage. that is: i pay google to provide me with 10 additional gigabytes. oh, i almost forgot: all my searches are done via google, of course! and my desktop is organized with google desktop which provides me with daily weather, up-to-date news around the world and other necessities. and quite occasionally i use to roam youtube for all kind of video data.

they know all about me. i am completely depended on one single company to organize my life.

going through the day, i recognize that there are several google services i forgot to mention...

  • all my word translations happen through the google translator
  • all my instant calculations happened though the google search prompt
  • virtually all my instant communication happens through gtalk (which btw happens to be THE idea generating application)
  • increasingly i start to use google books and google journals for scientific research purpose
should i take measures against this growing dependency?

at least so much: google uses open standards which allow me easily to transfer my data back home. sincerely, i am getting a little bit worried regarding this issue.

No comments: